AGR 201 Name: ____________________________
Forty Chances – Week 1
Using the identified book sections, please answer the following study guide questions. Upload your completed document in the “Assignments” tab. This assignment is worth 20 points
Foreword, Page xiii-xvi
- Who wrote the foreword? What was he famous for? (use internet if you don’t know)
- How did Howard Graham Buffet get his name (both Howard and Graham)?
Introduction: One Shot at a Warlord, Page 1-6
- In what country did the introduction take place?
- What army did the lieutenant Acellam lead?
- Who were the army hunting? Why?
- What did the army do to their prey when they found them?
- Why did Howard Buffet take the lieutenant’s picture?
- FAO reported what to be the leading cause of hunger in 2005? What does FAO stand for?
- What is Howard Buffet’s “day job”?
Story 1: The Day I heard the Clock Tick, Pages 9-17
- How many acres are there in the business operation Howard Buffett runs?
- What event did Howard Buffet attend that led to the book title?
- What organization did the author quote related to the number suffering persistent and chronic hunger? How many were estimated?
- How many Americans did the author quote as food insecure? How many children?
- What is an NGO project (what do the letters stand for)?
- How many $$$ has the Buffet foundation invested in the past decade?
- How many countries has the book author visited?
- What was the name of the effort the author discusses in the 1960’s in India and South East Asia, that saved a billion people?
- What is the target year for the HG Buffett Foundation to have given away all of its money?