Walden University Issues Within the Practice of Forensic Psychology Paper
Issues within the practice of forensic psychology are not always black and white. and guidelines can help the forensic psychology professional act according to the highest standards of professional conduct, make appropriate decisions, and resolve conflicts. Forensic psychology professionals have at least two codes that guide their practice: the American Psychological Association’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Ethics, which applies to all psychologists, and the American Psychological Association’s Specialty Guidelines for Forensic Psychologists, which is specifically geared to forensic psychologists. In this Discussion, you are challenged to think of potential areas of ethical conflict that might emerge for forensic psychology professionals in light of the ethical codes and guidelines.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s DVD program, “Ethics.” Consider the ethical situations/issues, presented in the DVD program, and consider how they might be prevented/addressed by forensic psychology .
- Review the principles and standards of the American Psychological Association’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct and the American Psychological Association’s Specialty Guidelines for Forensic Psychologists.
- Think about the types of ethical conflicts that might occur, related to these ethical codes/guidelines.
- Identify a potential ethical conflict or dilemma that might arise related to the principles, standards, and guidelines you reviewed.
- Consider ways you might resolve this conflict or dilemma.
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources. To access select media resources, please use the media player below.
- Video: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Introduction to forensic psychology: Ethics. Baltimore: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 20 minutes.Accessible player –Downloads–Download Video w/CCDownload Audio
- APA Online: Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Ethics
- American Psychological Association.(in press) Specialty Guidelines for Forensic Psychologists. Retrieved from