REFLECTION PAPER ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
The goal of reflective writing is to interact with and integrate new information and apply it to what you already know and practice, thereby achieving personal growth. You will write a total of four reflection papers in this course. Each paper has a specific topic. All four papers have the same basic purpose, structure and format. Each paper must maintain a good balance between 1) examination and discussion of relevant course materials on the topic and 2) self-reflection on how these phenomena play out in your own interpersonal communication contexts.
Begin each paper with a specific reference or a quote from the week’s assigned readings. Use this reference to anchor your discussion and reflections. Discuss the assigned topic by comparing, contrasting, and synthesizing a variety of course materials by different authors. You may also include additional sources and Scriptures. Provide a personal response to the topic and course materials. Reflections may include new insights about yourself, your communication style, and your relationships; realizations about existing communication barriers, challenges, and opportunities in your personal and/or professional arena; communication strategies and skills that you discovered and applied; and observed outcomes emerging from changes you have made. Each paper must also include a biblical worldview/faith journey perspective as well as a brief discussion of how your behavioral blend (as described by Carbonell) influences your communication and actions on the given topic.
Each paper should be between 900 and 1,000 words long (3 pages of text). The content should be engaging, substantive, and interesting. It should be written in a focused and concise manner and be well organized with a logic progression of ideas and transitions that are clear and maintain flow of thought. Submit as a Word document, formatted according to current APA style, free of grammar, spelling, and other writing errors. A title page is expected, but an abstract is not needed. Repeat the paper title on page 2 according to APA format, but do not use any subheadings. Use APA style for both in-text citations and the reference page, while making sure references correspond and are correct.
Reflection Paper: Communication Patterns Assignment
Petersen described and illustrated the importance of emotion regulation in interpersonal communication using humorous terms such as the Flat-Brain Theory of Emotions, the Flat-Brain Syndrome, and the Flat-Brain Tango (Chapters 3-7). Examine your emotion regulation skills, feelings-versus-thoughts differentiation, and communication habits. Reflect on your interpersonal communication behaviors in private and professional/public contexts.
Reflection Paper: The Role of Talker Assignment
Schultze and Badzinski provided Bible-based guidance for making sure the content of our communication is truthful, honest, transparent, authentic, self-disclosing, relationship-enhancing, faithful, and encouraging (Chapters 5-6). Petersen offered principles for making sure our talking processes are effective, constructive, and balanced (Chapters 10-13). Examine yourself and the messages you send in the role of talker in light of this material.
Reflection Paper: The Role of Listener Assignment
Petersen offered guidance for making sure our listening practices are respectful, non-judgmental, supportive, and constructive (Chapters 14-16). Schultze and Badzinski described the process of attentive listening (Chapter 1). The also provided Bible-based principles for resolving interpersonal conflicts and maintaining relational harmony (Chapter 7-8). Examine yourself as a listener and communication partner in light of this material.
Reflection Paper: Therapeutic Communication Assignment
France and Weikel discussed the importance of empathy, warmth, and genuineness in order to establish a therapeutic alliance with clients in the human services field (Chapter 3). Analyze and elaborate on each of these three concepts, drawing on additional course materials, including Petersen (Chapters 19-21). You may also find the principles and skills discussed in the Module 1 video and Module 6 presentation helpful. Reflect on your own therapeutic communication skills.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.
REFLECTION PAPER GRADING RUBRIC
Criteria Levels of Achievement
Content Advanced Proficient Developing Below Expectations Not Present
Content 33 to 35 points
• Addresses all required aspects of the topic in sufficient depth & detail.
• Demonstrates self-reflection, critical thinking & application.
• Meets length parameters of 900–1,000 words (3 pages). 30 to 32 points
• Addresses most required aspects of the topic in sufficient depth & detail.
• Demonstrates some reflection, critical thinking & application.
• Length is 900–1,000 words (3 pages). 27 to 29 points
• Addresses some required aspects of the topic; depth & detail may be lacking.
• Reflection, critical thinking & application is implied.
• May violate length parameters of 900–1,000 words (3 pages). 1 to 26 points
• Addresses the required aspects of the topic to a limited extent.
• Self-reflection, critical thinking & application is lacking.
• May violate length parameters of 900–1,000 words (3 pages). 0 points
Sources & Support 33 to 35 points
• Begins with a reference point from the week’s readings.
• Integrates course literature appropriately to provide various perspectives.
• Integrates behavioral blend perspectives & biblical worldview meaningfully. 30 to 32 points
• Begins with a reference point from some readings.
• Integrates course literature to provide some different perspectives.
• Makes some references to behavioral blend perspectives & biblical worldview. 27 to 29 points
• Incorporates reference(s) to some readings.
• Draws on the course literature in a limited way to highlight some perspective(s).
• Behavioral blend perspectives and/or biblical worldview may be implied. 1 to 26 points
• Reference to the readings is insufficient.
• Integration of the course literature is very limited or lacking altogether.
• Behavioral blend perspectives & biblical worldview are insufficient. 0 points
Structure Advanced Proficient Developing Below Expectations Not Present
Organization 10 points
• Well organized with an engaging introduction, a logic progression of ideas & transitions that are clear & maintain flow of thought.
• Focused & concise with main points sufficiently developed. 9 points
• Generally well organized with a good introduction, progression of ideas & transitions that are clear & maintain flow of thought.
• Focused & concise with main points somewhat developed. 8 points
• May lack an engaging introduction, a logic progression of ideas and/or transitions that are clear & effective to maintain flow.
• Focus may be lacking & main points needing development. 1 to 7 points
• Organization is poor.
• There may be a lack of focus; ideas may be vague, confusing or underdeveloped.
Mechanics 10 points
• Spelling, grammar, punctuation, & capitalization is correct.
• Sentences are coherent, complete, clear & varied.
• Choice of words, tense & tone is appropriate. 9 points
• Spelling, grammar, punctuation, & capitalization is acceptable.
• Sentences are generally coherent, complete & clear.
• Choice of words, tense & tone is acceptable. 8 points
• Spelling, grammar, punctuation, or capitalization is incorrect.
• Sentence structure needs to be developed.
• Word choice, tense, or tone may be problematic. 1 to 7 points
• Multiple writing, grammar, or sentence structure errors are present. 0 points
• Title page, header, margins font, spacing & heading are consistent with APA style.
• References & in-text citations correspond & are correct.
• Submitted as a Word document. 9 points
• Title page, header, margins font, spacing & heading are generally in APA style.
• References & in-text citations correspond & are correct.
• Submitted as a Word document. 8 points
• Title page, header, margins font, spacing & heading are inconsistent with APA style.
• References & in-text citations may conflict or be incorrect.
• Submitted as a Word document. 1 to 7 points
• The paper does not adhere to APA style.
• The paper is not submitted as a Word document.