Develop a 5-day unit plan that integrates vocabulary, reading, grammar, writing, listening and speaking, and technology, for the “Class Profile” students, choosing either the resource or self-contained learning environment. In a typical resource or self-contained learning environment the teacher would differentiate for every student. For this assignment, choose three students for whom you will differentiate the instruction. Align your unit to a 6-12 grade level ELA standard from the Arizona or another state academic content standards.
Design the unit plan to include:
- National/State Learning Standards: Select standards that address reading, writing, speaking, and listening integration skills.
- Multiple Means of Representation: Select strategies that allow opportunities to develop oral and written language for students with disabilities. Incorporate individual abilities, interests, learning environments, and cultural and linguistic factors in the section.
- Multiple Means of Engagement: Select strategies to enhance language development and communication skills.
- Multiple Means of Expression: Use technically sound formal and informal assessment.
- Extension Activity and/or Homework: Incorporate activities that include critical thinking and problem-solving.
- In the Differentiation rows of the unit plan template focus on the three students you selected.
Part 2: Rationale
In 250-500 words rationale at the bottom of your unit plan, explain the following:
- How literacy skills from your lesson plan will be helpful for students in other content areas.
- How communication and language arts strategies prepare students and provide them strategies to be successful academically and personally across multiple settings with a variety of collaborators (e.g., individuals, families, and teams).