Case: Waftly Towers property rehabilitation
“Melbury investments has recently acquired the Waftly Towers property at 16 Elwood Avenue, Torquay. An existing hotel, the property is currently in poor state of repair and due to poor management has an attained a reputation for poor service, both within the local community and with its guests. Waftly Towers is Melbury Investment’s first hotel acquisition and the property is to become the flagship in a chain of Melbury Hotels that Melbury plans on developing over the next five years. Melbury Hotels are to be positioned towards the upper end of the hotel market and marketed as medium sized hotels in which personal service is a central theme.
As a first step in that longer term strategy the Waftly Towers rehabilitation project will be undertaken in order to rehabilitate and reopen the property using the Melbury Hotel brand. As well as returning the Waftly Towers property to profitability, the Waftly Towers rehabilitation project will provide a platform for the subsequent launch of the Melbury Hotel chain”. (Source: Waftly towers –Melbury Investments purchase agreement version 1.3)
In line with achieving Melbury’s business objectives, the Waftly Towers property is to be rehabilitated.
Project main activities
Assume that you have been assigned as the project manager for this project. Prepare a project report including the following.
· Prepare a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) to the project. Need to use the standard practices to draw the WBS. You are allowed to pick and choose the names for summary tasks and activities in the WBS. Limit the number of activities to twenty five. (20 marks)
· Draw a network diagram for the project with ES, EF, LS, LF and Slack. Mark the critical path and project duration. (20 marks)
· Prepare a responsibility matrix to allocate responsibilities to the team members. You are allowed to pick and choose resources required for the project. (10 marks)
· Prepare a budget and a cost distribution plan for the project. You are allowed to decide the resources required. Use realistic estimations during the budgeting process with appropriate assumptions. Costs should be distributed using ES time when preparing the cost distribution plan. (15 marks)
· Prepare a quality management plan for the project. List all the quality standards. (10 marks)
· Prepare a risk management plan for the project. Need to demonstrate all the steps in risk management framework. ( 15 marks)
· Prepare a stakeholder management and communication management plan for the project. ( 10 marks)
1. Preparation of WBS appropriately. (20 marks)
2. Preparation of Network Diagram accurately. Mark EST, EFT, LST, LFT and Slack for each node in the diagram. (20 marks)
3. Preparation of responsibility matrix appropriately. (10 marks)
4. Critical preparation of project budget and cost distribution plan. Use of EST for accurate cost planning is a key concern.(15 marks)
5. Critical preparation of a sound quality management plan. Use appropriate quality planning, quality assuring and quality controlling techniques. (10 marks)
6. Preparation of risk management plan. Identification, assessment and mitigation plan for identified risks with required detail level. (15 marks)
7. Preparation of a strong communication plan to ensure smooth functioning of the project. And also the coverage of stakeholder management in the communication plan. (10 marks)